The Washington Redskins may be three time winners of the Super Bowl but their QR Code implementation on Facebook is a big fail. The image reproduced below can be found above the fold on the left-hand side of their official Facebook pages (screenshot opens in new window). Here is what is wrong with it:
- The QR Code requires a proprietary reader. This means everyone scanning the code with a conventional reader will find that it resolves to meaningless text “m:KYblfxkmr”.
- There is no clickable link to download the reader.
- Users who bother to key in the url to obtain the reader will find that it will only work on the iPhone and iPod touch and requires iOS 4.0 or later.
- There is no call to action.
- There is no indication of what the user will find when they eventually get to the destination.
- There is no destination url available for those without smartphones.
How is it that big brands like this get suckered in to such poor implementations of QR Codes?