Here is some interesting data on the use of QR Codes from a recent survey by PRS of 1,450 US consumers.
- 54% of the shoppers surveyed own a smartphone.
- 76% use them while shopping.
- Roughly half of those who do use their smartphones while shopping use them to check prices, find promotions, read product reviews, or get product information.
- The most common categories to shop with smartphones are Electronics (64%), Consumer Packaged Goods (57%) and Clothing/Apparel (54%).
- Only 57% are aware of the term “QR Code” but 94% recognize them when seeing one.
- 44% of those who use smartphones while shopping have actually used QR Codes.
The fact that 94% of smartphone owners recognize a QR Code when they see one but only 54% of them are aware of the term “QR Code” is a little puzzling. The only factor I can think of that may account for this is that QR Codes are never labelled as QR Codes when consumers see them.